Museum of the Accademia dei Fisiocritici (Prato S. Agostino 5, Piazzetta Silvio Gigli 2; tel. 0577 47 002; www.accademiafisiocritici.it) is highly regarded as the best museum of science in the country. It is located in a 12th century monastery. The museum features sections of Geology, Zoology, Palaeontology, and Anatomy. At the beginning of the 18th century, the collection enlarged to include Tuscan minerals and flora.
The ground floor houses the Geology section that features minerals from southern Tuscan mines. Fragments of meteorite rain that fell in 1794 are also kept here. The Zoology section is housed in the upper floor and keeps a collection of animals, including species that are extinct today. There is also a collection of insects and marine animals. The Paleontology section preserves fossils from different eras, Paleozoic flora, and a great collection of lithium, copper and bronze objects and tools.
Opening times: 9am-1pm and 3pm-6pm Mon-Fri, except Thu afternoon.